How I Accidentally Torched My Wife’s Blog, and How I (Mostly) Recovered It

  Let’s rewind a year. My wife’s first published book is in editing. We discuss her need for a professional author’s website. I take a look at what I’m paying for Windows hosting with Arvixe, and think about how irritating it’s been and how many things I can’t control, and how their service has been […]

NAS Review: QNAP TS-563: I’ll Keep This One

TL;DR: There’s a reason QNAP is one of the top players. The AMD chipset means no Plex hardware transcoding, but it’s still a lovely box. Preface: I started trying to replace my 2-bay QNAP TS-220 when I realized that it wouldn’t support my new 8TB hard drives without new drive caddies (whoops). The ARM chipset […]

NAS Review: TerraMaster F5-420: Some nice touches, but not worth the risk

(Amazon won’t let me write a review because I got a price other customers can’t get — I double upped a publicly available coupon with a Lightning deal. Not my fault. But I took the time to prepare to warn people, so I’m writing this anyway.) TL;DR: Seemingly acceptable hardware perceived as untrustworthy and unreliable […]

Hello, nosey people!

In the process of updating my résumé, I realized that in this increasingly Facebook-social-networking time, people might very well take the presence of a personal domain in the email address of an applicant as an invitation to look at their life. Go ahead. Feel free. I mostly write about my cats, it seems, and I […]

Random Notes From a Random Day

Passing a bus on a highway is easy. Trying to pass a bus before you get to a particular exit can be more challenging. The vending machine supply company has caught on. We now have two full rows of chocolate-frosted Hostess Donettes in our vending machine. The one half-row sold out every week. The generic […]

Twitter Updates for 2010-01-06

How long do I have to wait for the other party to call in for a teleconference before I can just throw in the towel and go on with my day? # @cytherea I went with ten minutes. No one else called in. # Three weeks ago I was looking forward to the meeting that […]

Twitter Updates for 2010-01-05

One of my coworkers doesn't think I can make it 72 hours (down to 70 hours now) without losing my cool completely. He may be right. # What drink goes with Italian (eggplant parmesan, I think), black and white cookies (none to share, sorry), and wanting to kill coworkers? # (The euphemistic kind of "kill", […]

Twitter Updates for 2010-01-04

Watching my wife play Wii Sports Resort Plus Swordplay is EXHAUSTING me. # @pfqrst Drive safely! # I planned on rewatching ALL of Chuck before next Sunday's season premiere. I can only really watch at work. 35 episodes/5 days = 7 per day. #

Twitter Updates for 2010-01-03

@pfqrst *drool* # FPSes are clearly not intended to be played with a touchpad. # @bolthy The forces of the Steam Holiday Sale clouded my mind! in reply to bolthy # I think Portal would be a bit easier if I was using a mouse. #

Twitter Updates for 2010-01-02

My cat missed me enough that he kept purring while I was using him as a free weight for exercises. # FYI: I previously fostered Paint It Black, and even named the little dude. #